Players in this post:
Teams in this post:

Knights succumb to Forsyth Country Day rally

North Davidson’s Q Cunningham knocks the ball away from Forsyth Country Day’s Colton Bishop during their game on Friday at Joel Coliseum. (Photo by Mike Duprez/The Dispatch)

WINSTON-SALEM | North Davidson had it going Friday night for three quarters against Forsyth Country Day and the tournament championship of the Frank Spencer Classic’s Pepsi Cola bracket was within reach.

But then came the fourth quarter.

Led by point guard and tournament Most Valuable Player Colton Bishop, the Furies erupted for 31 points in the final period and came from behind for a 68-57 victory at Joel Coliseum.

North (6-5) had led by as much as 11 points in the third quarter.

“The Bishop kid, we couldn’t keep him in front,” said North coach Sammy Staten. “They started making their shots. They missed a lot of shots in the first half. I don’t know what the percentage was. In the second half, they shot 3s. They made ‘em.”

Bishop, a 6-1 junior, scored 23 points. He got 15 of those in the fourth quarter, including a perfect 10-for-10 from the free throw line.

“He came out to play tonight, which was great,” said Forsyth coach Jack McHale.

North was still leading 53-52 with a little over three minutes left when Spencer Arrowood secured a rebound off a missed Forsyth shot. But Cory Hanes ripped the ball out of Arrowood’s hands and laid it in to put the Furies on top.

It went on from there.

William Herzberg converted a layup off a North turnover. Moments later, Hanes took a pass from Bishop on the baseline and roared in for a two-hand slam dunk to make it 58-53.

The Knights fell even further behind, meaning they had to foul. And that meant Bishop, who didn’t miss.

“We didn’t have anybody who could keep him from getting the ball,” Staten said. “But then it got to the point where we had to foul. We just let it slip away.”

Andy Bell had 15 points for the Furies (4-8) while Herzberg had 12 and Hanes 11.

Brandon Easter, who made the all-tournament team, led the Knights with 15 points and 13 rebounds. Chase Mitchell had 11 points and Shy Tuttle 10.

After a close first half that saw North lead 26-24 at intermission, the Knights came out blazing in the third quarter. They buried five 3-pointers, three by Mitchell and surged into the lead. Three consecutive 3s, two by Mitchell and one by Easter, gave the Knights a 39-28 lead with 4:31 left in the quarter.

But the Furies fought their way back and closed to within 44-37 at the end of the period when Hertzberg came up with a steal and drove coast-to-coast for a layup.

And then in the opening seconds of the third quarter, Bishop pounced on an errant pass, took it the other way and was fouled. He made both free throws. Then he swished a 3-pointer and it was suddenly a 44-42 game.

“We’re a 3-point shooting team but we haven’t been shooting them as well,” McHale said. “We had to go back to what we do best, which is shooting 3s, because we have no height.”

The Furies took their first lead since early in the first quarter on a 3-pointer by Timmy Cooper, making it 50-49 with 5:09 left.

North went back ahead on an Arrowood layup only to see Herzberg answer that with a layup created by a turnover.

The Knights took their final lead at 53-52 with 3:36 left when the 6-3, 290-pound Tuttle drove through the middle of the lane for a layup.

North will visit Page on Wednesday.

Mike Duprez can be reached at 249-3981, ext. 218 or